[xep-support] alignment-baseline property does not match the spec

From: Bob Stayton <bobs_at_ADDRESS_REMOVED>
Date: Sat Mar 16 2019 - 15:45:35 PST

I've been updating the DocBook XSL stylesheets to map the valign
attribute values for DocBook's inlinemediaobject elements to the correct
alignment-baseline property values in XSL-FO.  The value of "top" should
map to alignment-baseline="before-edge" and "bottom" should map to
alignment-baseline="after-edge". These settings work in FOP 2.1 and in
Antenna House Formatter, but not in XEP.  When I test with samples
similar to the XSL 1.1 specification examples, I find the inline images
overwrite the text lines below with XEP.

I created my test samples for inline images from the illustration on
page 293 of the PDF version of the XSL 1.1 spec at
https://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/xsl11.pdf.%c2%a0 I then
processed it with the updated stylesheets and tested the results in the
three FO processors.

The attached PDF is assembled from pages extracted from three separate
PDF outputs: FOP, AH, and XEP. You can see the FOP and AH output is
similar to the specification's illustration, but the third page with the
XEP output overwrites the lines below with the inline images.

I would be happy to supply my .fo file and images if you want to test
this yourself.

--
Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises