[xep-support] Re: Issue with PDF images

From: Kevin Brown <kevin_at_ADDRESS_REMOVED>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2019 - 11:08:05 PST

* Is there a preflight to check if images are compatible with XEP or not?

What you ask can only be accomplished using XEP to format the image.

Your assumption is that something in that file is "not supported" by
RenderX.

That assumption could be correct, but it also could be and many times is
simply wrong.

Many PDF tools, much like image tools and even web browsers, can effectively
attempt to still process their files that are "broken".

A very common example in PDF are orphaned pointers within the stack that
point to non-existent OBJ references.

How they were created and/or subsequently edited can cause this.

RenderX is walking the tree to reconstruct only what is needed to recreate
that PDF inside another PDF wrapped in an OBJ.

RenderX documentation also states that PDF version support is 1.3 for
images, although I have seen many later versions also work.

http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#PDF

Your PDF image is version 1.6. This is one thing you can check for sure.

However, to me, the best test harness is a simple FO which includes the PDF
as an image.

You would not even need to output the PDF, merely parse the formatting log
for this (or any [error]).

Now, specifically in your error . if I examine the PDF standard, it clearly
states that there are "3" Type entries for a cross-reference stream (0,1 and
2).

See Table 18 in 7.5.8.3 Cross-Reference Stream Data:

Thus, this file is broken as the entry is wrong. This is likely why when you
just save the file with Adobe Reader it "fixes" the issue.

Kevin