Re[4]: [xep-support] how to use -Xmx switch? -- or some other fix?

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 00:28:16 PDT

Hello, Susan.

Did I get you right that
 Saxon creates FO without any problem,
 XEP renders that FO to PDF without any problem,
 but: XEP fails with OOM if called like "xep -xml data.xml -xsl
 style.xsl -pdf result.pdf" ?

If so, please send me off-list to support@renderx.com zipped all the
files (xml, xsl, images) that I will need to reproduce the bug.

The sizes you mentioned do not look huge, though it really depends on what's
inside. Classpath never relates to Windows (any version), but rather
to Java. XEP does format some documents on your computer, so classpath is OK.

 Michael Sulyaev                          mailto:msulyaev@renderx.com
RenderX
Saturday, June 11, 2005 at 12:07:38 AM you wrote:
Cyc> Hello Michael,
Cyc> --- Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com> wrote:
>> Try formatting sample files shipped with XEP and stored in
>> examples/xmlspec/ folder. These are known to go fine without -Xmx at
>> all (at least they do on my machine). Do you run out of memory on
>> these files?
Cyc> No, I didn't run out of memory, and I ran the samples without any -Xmx
Cyc> at all.
>> If so, there must something be wrong with your
>> installation, environment, java version etc.
Cyc> My Java version is jre1.5.0_01
Cyc> I suspect it's something I did/didn't do on installation. In fact, I
Cyc> didn't do anything except click "install", and XEP has run fine till
Cyc> now with no -Xmx entry in my xep.bat file. I can type xep at the
Cyc> prompt, from within any directory, and the program runs a transform.
Cyc> To my knowledge, which is extremely limited, WinXP has no "classpath",
Cyc> just "path", and it looks like this:
Cyc> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Cyc> Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Common
Cyc> Files\Sonic Shared;c:\bin;c:\bin\saxon.jar;
Cyc> I made no changes to it after installing XEP because I am not aware
Cyc> that I was supposed to, and XEP was working fine till now anyway.
>> Could it be so that your XSLT has an error and produces something
>> (FO) valid but really huge?
Cyc> When I create the .fo file with Saxon it is 1.88MB. I hope that isn't
Cyc> considered "really huge" because this is a work in progress, and it's
Cyc> going to get much, much bigger. After I create the .fo file with Saxon,
Cyc> XEP will transform that .fo file into pdf with no problems.
Cyc> I have multiple source documents that are processed via one "control"
Cyc> file. For example, Main.xml looks like:
Cyc> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Cyc> <!-- document file set -->
Cyc> <!ENTITY body1.1 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1a.xml">
Cyc> <!ENTITY body1.2 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1b.xml">
Cyc> <!ENTITY body1.3 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1c.xml">
Cyc> <!ENTITY body2.1 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/Y1a.xml">
Cyc> <!ENTITY body2.2 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/Y1b.xml">
]>>