Re: Re[2]: [xep-support] how to use -Xmx switch? -- or some other fix?

From: <CRW150@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 13:07:38 PDT

Hello Michael,

--- Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com> wrote:

> Try formatting sample files shipped with XEP and stored in
> examples/xmlspec/ folder. These are known to go fine without -Xmx at
> all (at least they do on my machine). Do you run out of memory on
> these files?

No, I didn't run out of memory, and I ran the samples without any -Xmx
at all.

> If so, there must something be wrong with your
> installation, environment, java version etc.

My Java version is jre1.5.0_01
I suspect it's something I did/didn't do on installation. In fact, I
didn't do anything except click "install", and XEP has run fine till
now with no -Xmx entry in my xep.bat file. I can type xep at the
prompt, from within any directory, and the program runs a transform.

To my knowledge, which is extremely limited, WinXP has no "classpath",
just "path", and it looks like this:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Sonic Shared;c:\bin;c:\bin\saxon.jar;

I made no changes to it after installing XEP because I am not aware
that I was supposed to, and XEP was working fine till now anyway.

> Could it be so that your XSLT has an error and produces something
> (FO) valid but really huge?
When I create the .fo file with Saxon it is 1.88MB. I hope that isn't
considered "really huge" because this is a work in progress, and it's
going to get much, much bigger. After I create the .fo file with Saxon,
XEP will transform that .fo file into pdf with no problems.

I have multiple source documents that are processed via one "control"
file. For example, Main.xml looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- document file set -->
<!ENTITY body1.1 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1a.xml">
<!ENTITY body1.2 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1b.xml">
<!ENTITY body1.3 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1c.xml">

<!ENTITY body2.1 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/Y1a.xml">
<!ENTITY body2.2 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/Y1b.xml">
<!-- etc. -->
]>
 <group n="body">
    <group id="volume1" n="Volume I">
        <text>&body1.1;</text>
        <text>&body1.2;</text>
        <text>&body1.3;</text>
    </group>
    <group id="volume2" n="Volume II">
       <text>&body2.1;</text>

Using the same stylesheet, I have been transforming the document with
no problems until now. The total combined size of all the source
documents is only 1,164KB, plus 2 jpeg files of 56KB and 63KB. But
yesterday when I added another source file that is 212KB, still using
the same stylesheet, XEP started giving me the out of memory error.

I hope this all makes sense and that's its enough to help identify the
problem. If not please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help,
Susan