Re: Re[2]: [xep-support] how to use -Xmx switch? -- or some other fix?

From: <>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 13:07:38 PDT

Hello Michael,

--- Michael Sulyaev <> wrote:

> Try formatting sample files shipped with XEP and stored in
> examples/xmlspec/ folder. These are known to go fine without -Xmx at
> all (at least they do on my machine). Do you run out of memory on
> these files?

No, I didn't run out of memory, and I ran the samples without any -Xmx
at all.

> If so, there must something be wrong with your
> installation, environment, java version etc.

My Java version is jre1.5.0_01
I suspect it's something I did/didn't do on installation. In fact, I
didn't do anything except click "install", and XEP has run fine till
now with no -Xmx entry in my xep.bat file. I can type xep at the
prompt, from within any directory, and the program runs a transform.

To my knowledge, which is extremely limited, WinXP has no "classpath",
just "path", and it looks like this:

Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Sonic Shared;c:\bin;c:\bin\saxon.jar;

I made no changes to it after installing XEP because I am not aware
that I was supposed to, and XEP was working fine till now anyway.

> Could it be so that your XSLT has an error and produces something
> (FO) valid but really huge?
When I create the .fo file with Saxon it is 1.88MB. I hope that isn't
considered "really huge" because this is a work in progress, and it's
going to get much, much bigger. After I create the .fo file with Saxon,
XEP will transform that .fo file into pdf with no problems.

I have multiple source documents that are processed via one "control"
file. For example, Main.xml looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- document file set -->
<!ENTITY body1.1 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1a.xml">
<!ENTITY body1.2 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1b.xml">
<!ENTITY body1.3 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/W1c.xml">

<!ENTITY body2.1 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/Y1a.xml">
<!ENTITY body2.2 SYSTEM "../Source XML Files/Y1b.xml">
<!-- etc. -->
 <group n="body">
    <group id="volume1" n="Volume I">
    <group id="volume2" n="Volume II">
<!-- etc. -->

Using the same stylesheet, I have been transforming the document with
no problems until now. The total combined size of all the source
documents is only 1,164KB, plus 2 jpeg files of 56KB and 63KB. But
yesterday when I added another source file that is 212KB, still using
the same stylesheet, XEP started giving me the out of memory error.

I hope this all makes sense and that's its enough to help identify the
problem. If not please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help,

Discover Yahoo!
Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for the weekend. Check it out!

(*) To unsubscribe, send a message with words 'unsubscribe xep-support'
in the body of the message to from the address
you are subscribed from.
(*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service
Received on Fri Jun 10 13:35:43 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri Jun 10 2005 - 13:35:46 PDT