Re: [xep-support] SVG DTD bug?

From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 01:52:38 PST

Hi Bob,

> 1. Why does your SVG processor fail if it cannot download the W3C SVG DTD
> that is specified in the DOCTYPE of some SVG files? I don't think you need
> that DTD to render an SVG file, do you? Other processors seem to handle the
> SVG file without it.

The SVG DTD is organized in such a way that it puts SVG into proper
namespace by attaching a proper xmlns attribute to the root element.
Our SVG processor is necessarily namespace-aware, or it would not
be able to process svg images inside instream-foreign-object.

> 2. Why does your SVG processor fail to load the W3C SVG DTD when, in fact,
> the URL *does* work outside of XEP? I get this error every time I process a
> file that references an SVG graphic that has the DOCTYPE:
>
> [error] Failed to create image file:/c:/xml/mydocs/test.svg of type null
> [error] com.renderx.graphics.ImageFormatException:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException
> : Cannot read from http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd
> (Connection refused: connect)

This is a message from Java's URLConnection.

Im most cases this means that you

1) have a firewall in your location that prohibits direct connection
to external resources over http.
2) you have an http proxy set up in your location, and settings in
the browser that let you download the DTD through the proxy
3) Java is not set up to use proxy for http connections.

In order for Java to use http proxy, system properties http.proxyHost
and http.proxyPort must be set appropriately; in my installation it is

java -Dhttp.proxyHost=squid -Dhttp.proxyPort=3128 ....

David Tolpin