[xep-support] SVG DTD bug?

From: Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net>
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 00:55:45 PST

I have two questions:

1. Why does your SVG processor fail if it cannot download the W3C SVG DTD
that is specified in the DOCTYPE of some SVG files? I don't think you need
that DTD to render an SVG file, do you? Other processors seem to handle the
SVG file without it.

2. Why does your SVG processor fail to load the W3C SVG DTD when, in fact,
the URL *does* work outside of XEP? I get this error every time I process a
file that references an SVG graphic that has the DOCTYPE:

[error] Failed to create image file:/c:/xml/mydocs/test.svg of type null
[error] com.renderx.graphics.ImageFormatException:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException
: Cannot read from http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd
(Connection refused: connect)

I am able to connect to this URL and download the DTD without fail every
time.

You suggested in an earlier response that the user needs to set up a catalog
file to point to a local version of the DTD. But I should only need to do
that if I'm not connected, right? I'm connected, and I get this error. Is
that a bug?

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting