Re: [xep-support] XEP 3.7.4: Strange font names generated in PDF

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 03:07:00 PDT

    Hello Werner,

    The line '/BaseFont/GFEDCB+TimesNewRomanPSMT' is a correct one, prefix
    "GFEDCB+" appears when the font is subsetted.
    The PDF you send us is broken in a curious way - embedded font subset
    has zero length. I believe this can happen only in one case: if font
    file was accessible to formatter at the initial stage (when font
    metrics are parsed) but at the subsetting step it wasn't accessible
    anymore. In this case formatter will throw an exception, but if you
    have null ErrorHandler set when this exception will be ignored and
    you'll get broken PDF. So the questions are:
     1. Are you setting empty ErorrLogger? If not - was there any error
        messages produced by XEP?
     2. Is it possible that access to font files is somehow unstable? Are
        you using NFS? In this case it could be some temporal connectivity
        problem.

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX