RE: [xep-support] XEP 3.8.2: Table column width seems too large

From: DESEYNE Jacques (Jacques.DESEYNE@swift.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 02:45:03 PDT

    Werner,

    My apologies for expressing myself in such an unclear way: I meant that your table column width remains the same, with or without
    the surrounding block, that is whatever the current font-family property happens to be. On the other hand, setting a different
    font-size, at the root or the block level, changes the column width.

    My first attempt to explain the phenomenon probably wasn't even correct.
    From digging into the XSL-FO spec (5.9.7.2, "Relative Lengths") I understand that '1em' is defined as being equal to the current
    font size. This is not the same as an 'intuitive' understanding in the sense of "the width of the 'm' character".
    Then, I think it shouldn't come as a surprise that you get a column width of 66pt (as measured in Acrobat) if you ask for 6em and
    the current font-size is 11pt.

    Jacques Deseyne