Re: [xep-support] Type 1 Font Embedding

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 08:32:15 PST

    Victor,

    > I am embedding a Type1 font in a PDF, using XEP 3.7.5 Client.
    > Non-ASCII glyphs in the font do not appear to be getting embedded
    > (e.g. emdash, copyright, quoteright). The font is an unedited Adobe
    > font (Acaslon Regular).

    From your description, I suspect a mismatch between the embedded
    encoding in the PFB file, and symbol codes (C field values) in the AFM.
    (For example, the font may be in MacRoman, while the AFM uses
    codes from AdobeStandard).

    I suggest the following experiment: modify the AFM by ascribing
    -1 to all codes that differ between MacRoman and AdobeStandard:
    this includes all codes >127, and 39 (quotesingle / quoteright).
    It makes XEP believe that these characters are not part of the
    embedded encoding; it will therefore produce a custom encoding
    to include them, bypassing codes stored in the PFB. If it helps,
    than my guess is correct. If not, I would really like to look at your
    AFM/PFB pair; please send it off-list to support@renderx.com.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev