[xep-support] exact placement of words on a line

From: xep@dbobj.com
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 08:09:39 PST

    Hi folks,

    Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

    I have a situation in which I must place words at a specific position on a
    line. In the old word processor or dtp days, I would do this by setting
    tabs -- center, left or right -- and then put a tab in front of a word. I
    would set the tab settings on a per-line basis.

    The reason I need to do this is because I have to line up words on two
    lines one to another, like this:

     xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xx xx xx
    yyyyyyy yyyyy yy yyyyy yyy y

    where yyy(*) is a translation or transliteration of xx(*).

    I have not found a way to accomplish this in fo, other than to resort to
    creating tables with exactly sized columns and then sticking the words in
    the cells in those columns.

    I now know that this is an ineffecient way of doing things. I know the
    width of the words, and where I want them to go (tab placement as it were)
    -- so that is not something I would need to derive either from fo or via
    xslt -- I pass that info in. But how to layout the words??

    Any tips or ideas?

    Thanks,

    Steven Gertiser
    IDPC