Re: [xep-support] exact placement of words on a line

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 01:26:50 PST

    Hello Steven,

    At your place I would consider two options:

    1. Create a single table for every verse or line. It will have a simple
       structure - every cell contains one word and it's transliteration like
       this:
       | xxxxx | xxxxxxx|xxxxxx| xx |xx xx
       |yyyyyyy | yyyyy | yy | yyyyy yyy | y

       Note that despite this approach still utilizes tables it requires
       only one level table, not four-level nested table as in the sample
       document you send me.

    2. Place every pair of words not in a table cell but rather in an SVG
       image. This way text will remain searchable in Acrobat and you
       will be able to enforce desired positioning without tables.

    In both cases you have to wrap every verse and every chapter in
    separate block and place appropriate markers at their beginnings.

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX

    xdc> Hi folks,

    xdc> Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

    xdc> I have a situation in which I must place words at a specific position on a
    xdc> line. In the old word processor or dtp days, I would do this by setting
    xdc> tabs -- center, left or right -- and then put a tab in front of a word. I
    xdc> would set the tab settings on a per-line basis.

    xdc> The reason I need to do this is because I have to line up words on two
    xdc> lines one to another, like this:

    xdc> xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xx xx xx
    xdc> yyyyyyy yyyyy yy yyyyy yyy y

    xdc> where yyy(*) is a translation or transliteration of xx(*).

    xdc> I have not found a way to accomplish this in fo, other than to resort to
    xdc> creating tables with exactly sized columns and then sticking the words in
    xdc> the cells in those columns.

    xdc> I now know that this is an ineffecient way of doing things. I know the
    xdc> width of the words, and where I want them to go (tab placement as it were)
    xdc> -- so that is not something I would need to derive either from fo or via
    xdc> xslt -- I pass that info in. But how to layout the words??

    xdc> Any tips or ideas?

    xdc> Thanks,

    xdc> Steven Gertiser
    xdc> IDPC

    xdc> (*) To unsubscribe, send a message with words 'unsubscribe xep-support'
    xdc> in the body of the message to majordomo@renderx.com from the address
    xdc> you are subscribed from.
    xdc> (*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service http://www.renderx.com/tos.html