Re: [xep-support] retrieve-marker/header muddle

From: xep@dbobj.com
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 07:56:34 PST

    Folks,

    I received a reply offline to my running header muddle that I thought
    would be useful to the group. Thanks Alexander. I'll take a look and see
    if I can sort it out with the advice you sent me.

    Steven Gertiser
    IDPC

    ------------------------

    Hello Steven,

    The effect you observing appears because markers are placed in the
    cells of the table that wrapped in fo:block-container with
    writing-mode="rl-tb". Within this writing mode table column placed
    from right to left and thus order of markers changes. In general it is
    not recommended to place markers in adjacent table cells since
    sometimes overall result will be unpredictable.
    I must admit that your XSL FO document has quite intricate structure -
    separate words wrapped in up to four nested tables. I believe this
    level of complexity is just an overkill and prone to unexpected
    results as well as slow document formatting. Almost every possible
    layout can be created with lesser efforts. Note that tables in XSL FO
    are the most resource-consumptive objects from formatter point of view
    and generally it is advisable to avoid their use as much as possible.

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX