Re: [xep-support] 1. unicode characters (eg arrow up) 2. line-height

From: Paul A. Hoadley (paulh@logicsquad.net)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 16:33:28 PST

    On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:17:54AM +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:

    > When there is superscript stuff, eg for footnotes, I get uneven line
    > heights:
    > http://www.pinkjuice.com/temp/xep/line-height_arrow.png
    > Is this an issue of XEP or should it be resolved by changing the FO
    > generation?

    [I assume you're using DocBook here, as in your first question.]
    IMHO, at least part of the problem is that the FO stylesheets don't
    reduce the font-size of the footnote mark by enough (90% relative to
    surrounding text) -- even if the baseline shift you describe didn't
    occur, I think the mark is too large. (I don't know off-hand what
    relative size (La)TeX, for example, uses, but I'm sure it's smaller.)
    I've been experimenting with smaller marks: 60% in Times Roman causes
    no baseline shift (that I can detect), though maybe the mark looks a
    little too small at this size. YMMV with other fonts. Anyway, the
    customisation involves a single template:

      <xsl:template name="format.footnote.mark">
        <xsl:param name="mark" select="'?'"/>
        <fo:inline baseline-shift="super" font-size="60%">
          <xsl:copy-of select="$mark"/>
        </fo:inline>
      </xsl:template>

    See if that helps.