Re: [xep-support] 1. unicode characters (eg arrow up) 2. line-height

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 01:26:50 PST

    Tobias, Eliot,

    just my 2 cents to the discussion:

    > > 2. line height
    > >
    > > When there is superscript stuff, eg for footnotes, I get uneven line
    > > heights:
    >
    > I think this is an FO problem--the height of the superscript is heigher
    > than the normal line height, but I suspect that the FO spec allows
    > renderers to recover from this problem in different ways.

    There is a special XSL property, "line-height-shift-adjustment",
    to control behaviour of subscripts/superscripts. Its default value,
    "consider-shifts", makes inter-line space widen to account for
    baseline shifts on inline elements. To make line separation
    constant, set line-height-shift-adjustment="disregard-shifts"
    somewhere. (The property is inheritable).

    Note however that insertions of bigger fonts and/or tall inline
    graphics will increase line separation. If you want to ensure
    absolute uniformity of line separations, the ultimate weapon is
    line-stacking-strategy="font-height". In this mode, line separation
    for all lines in a block is equal to the calculated value of line-height
    on that block, regardless of the actual contents. But be careful:
    block graphics tend to break badly if they happen in such a block,
    since their actual size is not taken in consideration to determine
    their vertical placement.

    Regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev