RE: side floats [was: RE: [xep-support] Projection on Limitation on B efore Floats?]

From: MAISONNY Benoit (Benoit.MAISONNY@eurocontrol.int)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 01:31:42 PST

Hi,

I wish someone from RenderX could answer my question here:
- is it normal (read: compliant to the specs, see below) that a side float appears 1 line lower than the line where it is defined?
- if yes, how can I position the float (knowing that XEP does not support relative positioning)?

(see previous messages below for more explanation)

TIA,
Benoit

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/visuren.html#floats:
"The top of the floated box is aligned with the top of the current line box (or bottom of the preceding block box if no line box exists). If there isn't enough horizontal room on the current line for the float, it is shifted downward, line by line, until a line has room for it."

There are more precise rules here: http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/visuren.html#propdef-float

Still, I don't see why the float is put beside the next line: obviously there is space for the float there, so why not one line above?

Cheers,
Benoit

____

This message and any files transmitted with it are legally privileged and intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Any unauthorised use or disclosure of the content of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or legal commitment on the part of EUROCONTROL unless it is confirmed by appropriately signed hard copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender.

____