[xep-support] Re: On-going problem with footnote formatting

From: Kevin Brown <kevin_at_ADDRESS_REMOVED>
Date: Tue Oct 18 2022 - 13:55:57 PDT

Technically you should read up on inheritance ...
"5.1.4 InheritanceSome of the properties applicable to formatting objects are "inheritable." Such properties are so identified in the property description. The inheritable properties can be placed on any formatting object. The inheritable properties are propagated down the formatting object tree from a parent to each child. (These properties are given their initial value at the root of the result tree.) For a given inheritable property, if that property is present on a child, then that value of the property is used for that child (and its descendants until explicitly re-set in a lower descendant); otherwise, the specified value of that property on the child is the computed value of that property on the parent formatting object. Hence there is always a specified value defined for every inheritable property for every formatting object.
Note that is states *any formatting object* and *propagated down the tree*.
So if you want footnotes formatted in some specific way, you should specify *all the properties* you wish to format them at the fo:footnote level.
Kevin BrownRenderX
-----Original Message-----From: Jim Melton <SheltieJim@xmission.com> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2022 1:32 PMTo: kevin@renderx.com; 'RenderX Community Support List' <xep-support@renderx.com>; 'Kirch Fritz' <Friedrich.Kirch@it2media.de>Cc: SheltieJim@xmission.comSubject: Re: [xep-support] Re: On-going problem with footnote formatting
Kevin,
Many thanks for the reply!
I have replicated the example that I provided (XSL FO file and single-page PDF) by recompiling the source XML file into XSL FO and then rendering it into PDF. Because the replication succeeded, I cautiously conclude that the issue I've encountered is not caused by something nondeterministic (such as timing), but it a consequence of something observable and predictable. (I had not, until today, been able to prove to my own satisfaction that the phenomenon was predictable or not.)
I was shocked to read you saying that "Footnotes inherit formatting." I have (today) read and re-read the text of XSL FO 1.1, section 6.12.1, and I am still not certain that I understand enough of the details about the footnote-related reference areas (the area of XSL FO in which I amweakest) to fully grasp your statement about formatting inheritance.
However, I read your second message (that suggested changing <fo:footnote> to <fo:footnote start-indent="0pt">) and immediately tried it out. You won't be surprised to hear that all of my problems with footnote numbers being typeset over footnote body text have been cured!
MANY thanks, Kevin!! Jim
On 2022-10-17 14:16, Kevin Brown wrote:> Footnotes inherit formatting. Are you sure nothing else is being carried through from the man document?> And also, are you saying that it is 100% replicated in the example ... meaning it happens every time in formatting that sample?>> Kevin Brown> RenderX>> -----Original Message-----> From: Xep-support <xep-support-bounces@renderx.com> On Behalf Of Jim > Melton> Sent: Monday, October 17, 2022 1:03 PM> To: Kirch Fritz <Friedrich.Kirch@it2media.de>; RenderX Community > Support List <xep-support@renderx.com>> Subject: [xep-support] Re: On-going problem with footnote formatting>> Fritz,>> Many thanks for your response and suggestion.>> Unfortunately, in my documents, the footnote bodies are NOT centered, so your suggested fix doesn't seem to have any effect.>> I've sent an XML-FO document to support that demonstrates the problem, so perhaps that will help them figure out what is going on.>> Thanks again,> Jim>> On 2022-10-16 22:40, Kirch Fritz wrote:>> Hi Jim,>>>> as
 a very satisfied customer of XEP (currently using XEP 4.30.915) I >> just expandend your FO-examples from >> http://services.renderx.com/lists/xep-support/7826.html>> (see appendix)>> If you look at footnote 3 and 4 you can see that the footnote-body text always is centered by default.>> As a workaround you can set text-align-last="left" (see footnote 5 >> and>> 6)>>>> I am not part of the XEP support team.>> I am only a XEP customer.>> I cannot decide if the "centered" footnote-body text is a bug or a feature.>>>> Hopefully my workaround helps you.>>>>>> Fritz Kirch>> Nuremberg, Germany>>>>>>>> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----->> Von: Xep-support <xep-support-bounces_AT_renderx.com> Im Auftrag von Jim >> Melton>> Gesendet: Samstag, 15. Oktober 2022 21:32>> An: xep-support_AT_renderx.com>> Betreff: [xep-support] On-going problem with footnote formatting>>>> Almost a year ago, I submitted a plea for help with a problem I'm >> encountering with XEP. That plea can be found in the support >> archives>> here: http:/
/services.renderx.com/lists/xep-support/7826.html>>>> There has been no response, either in the archives nor in direct email reply to me. This is a small, but significant, issue and its on-going effects include causing people to ask me whether XEP is still a viable product for commercial or non-commercial use.>>>> I would be very grateful for either a reply from XEP support people >> or>> (preferably) an actual fix to the product.>>>> Thanks!>> Jim>>-- Jim Melton SheltieJim at xmission dot com-------------------------------------------Owner and Captain:Passport 40 #018 Dream SeQueLCo-Owner and Co-Captain:Passport 42 #040 Turtle Blues-------------------------------------------Shelties since 1969; ASSA member since 1992