[xep-support] Re: Render X processing instructions for setting Acrobat version compatibility

From: Alexey Gagarinov <agagarinov@renderx.com>
Date: Mon May 16 2011 - 04:48:12 PDT

Rhonda,

> To further clarify, what we are trying is set as part of the Acrobat
> Security, it maps to the “Can be Opened by” field in the Security tab
> of the Acrobat Document Properties dialog box.

> I’d like that to be set to Acrobat 5.0 and later instead of Acrobat
> 3.0 and later. When this is set to Acrobat 3.0, the encryption is
> 40-bit RC4, and we don’t want that.

The cause-effect relationship is opposite here:
Adobe Acrobat displays a value of "Can be Opened" field on the
"Security" tab based on the encryption level used in the given PDF document.

XEP always uses 40-bit RC4 encryption method, so Acrobat always
displays "Acrobat 3.0 and later".

The only workaround I can think of is to re-save the RenderX XEP's PDF
document in Adobe Acrobat Pro using 128-bit RC4 encryption level
(Adobe Acrobate Pro -> Document Properties -> Security tab; "Password
Security" - 'Security method' field; "Acrobat 5.0 and later" -
'Compatibility' field).

Best regards,
   Alexey Gagarinov
RenderX