[xep-support] Re: Use SVG wth CMYK

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed Dec 08 2010 - 09:45:05 PST

On Wednesday, December 8, 2010, 3:47:05 PM, Jim wrote:

JM> Anders,
JM>
JM> To get CMYK values in your SVG per the RenderX syntax, you might
JM> consider using XSL to convert the RGB values in the SVG to the CMYK values.

That gets you CMYK values, of a sort; it gives no benefit compared to just using the RGB values though, and there is no guarantee that the conversion gives the same actual measured colour.

JM> On 12/8/2010 9:01 AM, Anders Svensson wrote:

JM> That sounds good, and I looked at the colorbar.svg
JM> example file. The problem is, how do you actually
JM> create such files? I mean, there doesn?t seem to be
JM> any support for it in Adobe Illustrator that I can
JM> find, and searching Inkscape fo rums seems to suggest
JM> they don?t have any built-in support for creating files like
JM> this either.

I know that they are interested in this though and either have added it, or are in process of adding it.

JM> So how are you supposed to create them? Surely
JM> you are not meant to write the graphic files by hand?
JM> Specifically what I need to do is save EPS files as SVG with
JM> this color profile in the SVG file.

I believe that GhostScript has some support for this and also some SVG support.

I agree that better tool support would be helpful here. If anyone knows of other tools that can export CMTK colour for SVG using the ICC syntax I would be very interested to hear about them.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
!DSPAM:87,4cffc48163732789433821!