Re: [xep-support] Footnote rendering in parallel / dual language documents

From: Andy Black <andy_black@sil.org>
Date: Wed May 26 2010 - 08:17:07 PDT

On 5/26/2010 7:15 AM, G. Ken Holman wrote:
> At 2010-05-26 12:43 +0100, triangle@boltblue.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have dual language text that I need to render side-by-side on the
>> same pages.
>> Almost all of the blocks of text need to be vertically aligned, and
>> some text spans
>> both languages.
>> I've managed to vertically-align my blocks of text by converting the
>> data into a
>> two-column table.
>>
>> This works fine until it comes to footnotes.
>>
>> Applying XEP's @footnote-column-count="2" i got dual column
>> footnotes, but they seem
>> to appear randomly; all footnotes in the reverse columns, or
>> alternate languages in
>> each column - there's no discernible logic
>> What I would like to know is: is there a way of controlling my
>> footnotes so that they
>> render under the appropriate language / column, and if so, how?
>> Any previous experiences in this area gratefully received, whether
>> it's good news or bad.

While I have not tried to use multiple columns like you are, I have had
issues with footnotes in tables. The order of the footnotes was often
incorrect. The solution to that is known to the RenderX folks:

"The issue with wrong order of footnotes is fixed in 4.12 and requires
>FOOTNOTE_REORDERING=true core option, which is off by default."
>
>If you are not setting this option in xep.xml, you are not seeing the
>behavior.

So try setting this parameter in your xep.xml file and see if it helps.

--Andy