Re: [xep-support] Footnote rendering in parallel / dual language documents

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Wed May 26 2010 - 07:15:59 PDT

At 2010-05-26 12:43 +0100, triangle@boltblue.com wrote:
>Hi,
>I have dual language text that I need to render side-by-side on the
>same pages.
>Almost all of the blocks of text need to be vertically aligned, and
>some text spans
>both languages.
>I've managed to vertically-align my blocks of text by converting the
>data into a
>two-column table.
>
>This works fine until it comes to footnotes.
>
>Applying XEP's @footnote-column-count="2" i got dual column
>footnotes, but they seem
>to appear randomly; all footnotes in the reverse columns, or
>alternate languages in
>each column - there's no discernible logic
>What I would like to know is: is there a way of controlling my
>footnotes so that they
>render under the appropriate language / column, and if so, how?
>Any previous experiences in this area gratefully received, whether
>it's good news or bad.

When I've done aligned blocks of text I've often used list
items. Even singleton list items in a list, rather than a list of
many list items.

Since column-wide footnotes are a vendor extension, I'll let the
RenderX folks comment on your questions ... but I wonder if you
changed from tables to lists if that would work around some of the
issues you are tripping over.

I hope this helps.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01