Re: [xep-support] Requests for xep.next

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Thu Oct 22 2009 - 00:19:38 PDT

Dongsheng Song wrote:
> 1) Disable dtd validation completely or support xml catalogs

Hello Dongsheng Song,

XEP supports XML Catalogs (and always did). There is a chapter in XEP
User Guide describing the usage of XML catalogs for DocBook. It goes the
same way for SVG dtd. (Hacking away the public dtd uri from the svg file
header, as Mattias suggests, is not a good idea since the referenced dtd
may bring entities).

> 2) Improve quality of svg figures
> If I use color svg files directly, e.g.
> docbook-xsl/images/colorsvg/warning.svg
> The figures in pdf will have some color display distortion.

This does not manifest with the version of warning.svg from 1.72.0, but
indeed I see the issue with the one from 1.75.2. We'll proceed with this
issue on the dedicated support line support@renderx.com.

> 3) Use postscript font name in PDF output
> When I use Chinese font in Windows XP, e.g.
> simsun.ttc, simhei.ttf, simkai.ttf, simfang.ttf
> The embed font name of output PDF files display mess chars,
> It seems that xep use local font name with wrong encoding.

Checked on Linux with simhei.ttf: the font appears in PDF as
"S (Embedded Subset)": not reproduced. Please send the PDF file with
mess chars in font name and your xep.xml config file, and the FO file --
all to support@renderx.com.

> 4) fonts autoregistration
> Xep should support fonts autoregistration, scan system font directories
> or specified directories.

Uncommenting the sample font config section in xep.xml takes 5 seconds;
registering a particular font in xep.xml takes less than a minute. I see
no reason for autoregistration, but an exception may be made for Windows
users. Let's leave it for our Marketing chiefs.

> 5) improve mixed font support
> When I use mixed font (text of mixed English and Chinese character) in
> fo files like this:
>
> font-family="Myriad Pro,SimSun"
>
> The pdf file not display as good as word, xep should improve the
> algorithm of height and spacing for text of mixed English and Chinese
> characters.

Height and spacing are taken from the font files according to the
respective specifications. Please send a small sample to
support@renderx.com with the source FO, xep.xml, the PDF, a sceenshot of
Word rendering, and the font files.

Regards,
Michael Sulyev