Re: [xep-support] Possible bug in space resolution

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 16:39:58 PDT

At 2009-04-23 15:53 -0700, Jeffrey Thalhammer wrote:
>On Apr 23, 2009, at 2:49 PM, Jeffrey Thalhammer wrote:
>>If I'm not mistaken, space-before.conditionality and
>>space-after.conditionality both default to "discard." And based on
>>my understanding of fo:block-containers, those attributes should
>>cause the space-before (and space-after) of the leading (and
>>trailing) blocks within the container to be removed.

I agree.

>>The attached FO demonstrates this case.

BTW, it helped me to turn on the border of the block container:

          <fo:block-container border="solid 1pt">

>>I expect each line to appear separated by 1 inch. It works as
>>expected between the first and second line, but there are two
>>inches between the third and fourth line. Does that seem right?

Not to me.

>><spacing.fo>
>
>FOLLOWUP: Here's the relevant paragraph from the XSL-FO 1.1
>specification (<http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/)>http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/):
>
>If a conditional space-specifier ends a reference-area or line-area,
>then it is suppressed together with any other conditional
>space-specifiers which consecutively precede it in the sequence. For
>purposes of this rule, a space-specifier U consecutively precedes a
>space-specifier V if it U precedes V and U and V are separated in
>the sequence only by conditional space-specifiers and/or
>space-specifiers whose computed minimum, maximum, and optimum values are zero.
>
>To me, that suggests the last space-after in a reference area (e.g.
>fo:block-container) should be suppressed.

I agree.

>Or am I misunderstanding things?

I don't think so, Jeffrey ... I think one should expect there to be
one inch between each of the four lines.

I'm pretty sure the development team is reading this so that it will
get reported.

--
XSL-FO/XSLT/XQuery hands-on training - Los Angeles, USA 2009-06-08
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/