Re: [xep-support] Possible bug in space resolution

From: Jeffrey Thalhammer <thalhammer@apple.com>
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 15:53:41 PDT

On Apr 23, 2009, at 2:49 PM, Jeffrey Thalhammer wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, space-before.conditionality and space-
> after.conditionality both default to "discard." And based on my
> understanding of fo:block-containers, those attributes should cause
> the space-before (and space-after) of the leading (and trailing)
> blocks within the container to be removed.
>
> The attached FO demonstrates this case. I expect each line to
> appear separated by 1 inch. It works as expected between the first
> and second line, but there are two inches between the third and
> fourth line. Does that seem right?
>
> <spacing.fo>

FOLLOWUP: Here's the relevant paragraph from the XSL-FO 1.1
specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/):

If a conditional space-specifier ends a reference-area or line-area,
then it is suppressed together with any other conditional space-
specifiers which consecutively precede it in the sequence. For
purposes of this rule, a space-specifier U consecutively precedes a
space-specifier V if it U precedes V and U and V are separated in the
sequence only by conditional space-specifiers and/or space-specifiers
whose computed minimum, maximum, and optimum values are zero.

To me, that suggests the last space-after in a reference area (e.g.
fo:block-container) should be suppressed. Or am I misunderstanding
things?

-Jeff