Re: [xep-support] Making XEP fail when an image cannot be rendered

From: Alexei Gagarinov <agagarinov@renderx.com>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 09:26:26 PST

Hi David,

> If you have an image in your fo source that is sized such that it does
> not fit on the page because it is too wide but not too tall, xep renders
> the image but it extends off the page to the right. If you have an image
> that is too tall, xep does not render the image, but just leaves a blank
> space where the image would go. In neither case is there any message in
> the xep log file. Is it possible to have xep fail if it cannot render an
> image? Having it quietly create a bad pdf is dangerous. It's preferrable
> to me to have it fail if something like that goes wrong so I can fix it.

There are 2 approaches for this problem:
1) Design your own application over XEP (using XEP API) and implement a
custom logger that extends com.renderx.xep.lib.Logger class.

You can filter different errors in the overridden error() method (and
use System.exit for image's errors, for example).

2) Postprocess -- using any script programming language and an
appropriate filter -- the error log of the XEP's rendrering (and delete
the resulting files that contain "bad" output, for example).

Regards,
   Alexey Gagarinov