Re: [xep-support] Re: [docbook-apps] LaTeX + formulas & equations + graphics --> Dokbook + MathML + SVG

From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 03:02:06 PDT

2008/10/20 David Tolpin <david.tolpin.xepng@gmail.com>:
> Hello Stephen,
>> We wonder about the XEP line-break algorithm that put some truly awful
>> hyphenation in Vector 23:4.
> XEP does what you ask it to. Set hyphenation-remain-character-count(http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#hyphenation-remain-character-count) to 3 instead of 2 and mark up file names using a markup for which hyphenation is disabled, and the hyphenation will be good. With similar parameters, TeX will break in the same places, with this sizeof the page and of the font.

This is not something I'm familiar with David.
What is the general approach please?

1. Set the hyphenation-remain-character-count to 3 at the root level,
Then you mention
"mark up file names using a markup for which hyphenation is disabled"
Is this
<fo:block hyphenate='false'> filename content</

to ensure these remain together?

I note your comments about doing it once for a single schema+transform
(compared to \tex)! Much easier
in xsl-fo!

regards

--