Re: [xep-support] Re: [docbook-apps] LaTeX + formulas & equations + graphics --> Dokbook + MathML + SVG

From: David Tolpin <david.tolpin.xepng@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 06:20:59 PDT

Hi Dave,

> This is not something I'm familiar with David.
> What is the general approach please?
>
> 1. Set the hyphenation-remain-character-count to 3 at the root level,

If one feels that 2 characters is too little, than setting the above
to 3 will fix. If 2 is good but some words are mishyphenated, then it
is worthwhile to play with the exception list. The whole point behind
the TeX's hyphenation algorithm is that the computer memory is scarce
(64Kb for the TeX process is a lot of memory) and you can't use many
patterns or a dictionary, but can add exceptions if things go really
bad.

That definitely is not relevant these days, a full dictionary would do
much better, but few bother. If you think that TeX hyphenation points
are good enough, than XEP's are as good. A cheap way to improve is to
add exceptions to the pattern file. A better way is to plug another
hyphenator (it is pluggable), but it is a much longer way.

> Then you mention
> "mark up file names using a markup for which hyphenation is disabled"
> Is this
> <fo:block hyphenate='false'> filename content</
>
> to ensure these remain together?

Norm Walsh's docbook stylesheets go further than that, they allow
breaking file names on slashes without the hyphenation sign.

David