Re: [xep-support] DiType-based web services

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 17:05:25 PDT

Steve and all:

First, let me say that DiType is not a replacement for XEP - RenderX will
continue on with two applications. DiType was designed from the ground up
as a different product to meet very specific market demands. RenderX XEP has
had considerable success in the variable data print (VDP) space for things
like statements, invoices, direct mail, forms and applications, etc, while
simultaneously also having good success in more traditional publishing for
technical manuals, user guides, legislation, textbooks, etc. However, the
requirements of these two similar but very different markets constantly
caused tradeoffs between (1) high performance, high volume batch and
on-demand formatting of very large batches of smaller documents versus (2)
the high typographic quality considerations of the traditional publishing
space.

We decided that we would develop a new product for traditional publishing -
DiType (Digital Typographer). In addition to current applications, we hope
to open up some new markets to our software and XSL FO technology in
general. Our current customer base of traditional publishers who use using
RenderX for books, manuals and legislation should find DiType is pretty
close right now to meet their needs. We also hope to move into such product
markets as educational textbooks, newsletters, magazines and newspapers. We
feel these markets match very well and with DiType and should help enhance
the product for current customers. The DiType architecture makes it possible
to plug other modules in the pre-processing stage for greater control and
customization of the types of documents produced and many of the formatting
algorithms have been refined and enhanced.

And now that DiType has been released, we are starting on requirements for
XEP 5. XEP will continue to be enhanced for the VDP market with features
like forms, transpromo advertising, and splitting/merging batch print runs
into simultaneous formatting of PDF and PS/AFP. Both XEP and DiType share
common aspects such as the XEP intermediate format, thus some
enhancements/developments can cross between applications when needed.

After DiType goes through initial release phases, we suspect that many of
our traditional publishers like Docbook and DITA users will make a
transition (if they desire) to DiType. Of course, it is up to them as XEP
still serves this market well and nothing will be "removed" from the
application. Our VDP customers will be able to enjoy more targeted
development with XEP focused on their needs for speed and backend
integration of specialized applications like dynamic barcodes, OMR marks,
digital signatures, forms, etc.

As for http://moin.renderx.com/rxwiki ... it is a site for developers to
assist the developers. We'll be creating some more content on RenderX over
the coming weeks covering various aspects of DiType for our customers.

Kevin Brown
Executive Vice President, Sales & Marketing
RenderX, Inc.
(650) 328-8000 Main
(650) 327-1000 Direct
(650) 328-8008 Fax