Re: [xep-support] FFIL and LWFN suitcases and xep.xml configuration file

From: Alix Seifert <aseifert1@mac.com>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 10:26:11 PST

Chris,

On Dec 21, 2006, at 11:16 PM, Chris Ridd wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm on a Macintosh, running Tiger. Is it possible to map the
>> postscript fonts inside an FFIL or LWFN suitcase? Or is it required
>> that I use .afm and .pfb? I have an OS 9 machine and can see the
>> individual faces inside the suitcase, unfortunately in OS X they're
>> hidden.
>
> The XEP reference manual says that AFM and PFA/PFB files are needed
> for Type
> 1 fonts, so you *will* need to convert them. I think the "t1utils"
> command-line utilities will do the job but I don't have any such
> fonts on
> which to test. There's a pre-compiled version of those tools at
> <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/#t1utils>.

Thanks for the info and I'll try out the tools this weekend.

>> As a test, I mapped a TrueType version of one of the fonts in the
>> xep.xml file. The resulting PDF had the TT fonts embedded. In the
>> future I will be creating PDFs for press and will need to embed the
>> postscript versions.
>
> Just curious - if you end up with a PDF file, is there any reason
> to embed
> one format instead of another?

There is a difference if you're going to press. The print vendor will
want postscript fonts.
They cause fewer problems and generally are of better resolution. As
an example, the installed TrueType fonts
that come with Windows are designed to print at 600 dpi. They're
great for a laser printer or onscreen viewing.
Since offset printing can be at 1200 or 2400 dpi the lesser dpi font
will show up as fuzzy at the higher resolution.

I don't believe this to be the case if you start with PS fonts and
then convert to TT, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

>> I'm not sure what to specify in the <font-data> tag. Any direction is
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> Ultimately, fragments of XML like this:

> See doc/reference.html in the XEP distribution for details.
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

I saw examples of this in the xep.xml file I'm starting with so this
part makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again and a happy holidays to you.

Alix