Re: [xep-support] Out of memory error?

From: Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com>
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 09:07:23 PDT

On 1/5/06 4:45, Steve Ylvisaker <sylvisaker@CHYconsultants.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure where to look to diagnose this problem. I have been working
> with a style sheet for some time and have gotten to the point where it
> is working well with my test document. I introduced a larger production
> size document and ran the XSLT transformation fine - the XSL:FO looks
> normal to me.
>
> However, when I run it through the formatter I am receiving an out of
> memory error.
>
> Error Message: "Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.outof memory
> Error: Java heap space"
>
> I am running the XEP Personal Edition and I am using the XEP Assistant
> (I haven't been able to get it to run at the command line)

The XEP reference doc mentions this can be a problem, and you can solve it
by increasing the amount of memory assigned to the JVM. (Shades of classic
Mac OS!)

"You may need to add an -Xmx switch to the Java call mentioned above in
order to increase the amount of memory available to Java. Recommended value
of -Xmx is about 80% of physical RAM available on the computer that runs
XEP."

I pass "-Xmx150000000" on my machine, which has 2 gigs of RAM.

I don't know how you'd pass that argument to the JVM using the assistant,
but you need to.

Cheers,

Chris