Re: [xep-support] change of page sequence in a flow?

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 15:52:53 PDT

At 2005-10-17 10:53 -0400, Dan Ochs wrote:
>hi, I have an issue where I am in the middle of a two column flow, but
>then need to show an image that has a different page sequence (the
>image has to go on single-sided 11x17, where the rest of the pages are
>on a double-sided 8.5 x 11 flow). The images can be arbitrarily
>inserted in the normal pages.
>
><para>Some paragraph text that is in the two column flow at 8.5 x 11</para>
><para>More paragraph text that is in the two column flow at 8.5 x 11</para>
>
>My problem is that my resulting FO looks something like this:
><fo:page-sequence>
> <fo:flow name="">
> <fo:block>Some paragraph text that is in the two column flow at
>8.5 x 11</fo:block>
> <fo:block>
> <fo:page-sequence>
> <fo:flow>This has to go on the following page as 11x17</fo:flow>
> </fo:page-sequence>
> </fo:block>
> <fo:block>More paragraph text that is in the two column flow at
>8.5 x 11</fo:block>
> </fo:flow>
></fo:page-sequence>
>

>Do you know of a way to do this within the FO spec or a renderX extension?

The Page Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI) semantic was created for
this need to, while inside the flow, trigger a change in page masters.

Go to our home page below, from the right hand margin select "Free
resources", then "XSL-FO Resources", then "PSMI - interleaving page
geometries" and you'll find documentation and an XSLT stylesheet
implementing the semantic. I don't publish the direct URL in my
public postings in case the location of the file in my file system
changes and the archives then point to a dead link.

You write your stylesheet such that <para> puts out <block> and
<para><foldout> puts out <psmi:page-sequence>, thus creating an
XSL-FO+PSMI result instance. My stylesheet converts that to a pure
XSL-FO instance, creating as many sibling page-sequence elements as
is required. You then format the pure XSL-FO instance.

I hope you find this helpful.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc