[xep-support] Hyphenation problems

From: Broberg, Mats <mabr@flir.se>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 01:22:05 PDT

Dear all,

Thought I'd post a question to the list to ask if anyone else has
problems with getting hyphenation to work in different languages. We're
a bit confused about the problems we experience, since there doesn't
seem to be a systematic error in the results.

We're using XEP 4.3 Build 20050518 and the hyphenation files that can be
downloaded from the CTAN mirrors etc. We're getting a variety of optical
results, XEP errors and XEP warnings, as per the following:

CZECH: File czhyphen.il2 / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words are
hyphenated & random line samples look OK

DANISH: File dkhyphen.tex / XEP warning / Words are NOT hyphenated

DUTCH: File nehyph.tex / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words are
hyphenated & random line samples look OK

ENGLISH (US): File ushyph.tex / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words
are NOT hyphenated

FINNISH: File fihyph.tex / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words are
hyphenated & random line samples look OK

FRENCH: File frhyph.tex / XEP warning / XEP error / Words are NOT
hyphenated

GERMAN: File dehyph_rx.tex / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words are
hyphenated & random line samples look OK

ITALIAN: File ithyph.tex / XEP error / Words are NOT hyphenated

NORWEGIAN: File nohyphbx.tex / XEP warning / Words are hyphenated anyway
& random line samples look OK

POLISH: File plhyph.tex / XEP warning / XEP error / Words are hyphenated
anyway but do NOT look OK (streched spaces)

PORTUGUESE: File pthyph.tex / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words are
hyphenated & random line samples look OK

RUSSIAN: File ruhyphal.tex / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words are
NOT hyphenated

SPANISH: File eshyph.tex / No XEP warning / No XEP error / Words are
hyphenated & random line samples look OK

SWEDISH: File sehyph.tex / XEP warning / XEP error / Words are
hyphenated anyway & random line samples look OK

TURKISH: File trhyph.tex / XEP warning / XEP error / Words are
hyphenated anyway & random line samples look OK

The XEP warnings are typically things like:

- shamelessly skipping \endgroup

- shamelessly skipping \message

- shamelessly skipping \else

And XEP errors like "problem parsing input"

Any hints?

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager