Re: [xep-support] Trouble with conditionality on multi-column output

From: Eliot Kimber <drmacro@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 11:38:14 PST

--- Alexander Peshkov <peshkov@renderx.com> wrote:
Alexander Peshkov wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> I believe that behavior you observe is the one
prescribed by XSL-FO
> specification.
>
> XSL-FO spec states that 'conditionality' controls
whether a
> space-specifier has effect at the beginning or end
of a
> reference-area.

I think this analysis is incorrect in that I think
column-spanning blocks do establish reference areas.

If am reading the spec correctly, each block with
span="all" in a multi-column flow creates a new "span
reference area":

From 6.4.1.2. Page-masters"

> For region-masters to which the column-count
property applies, the main-reference-area
> is further subdivided by having child-areas
designated as "span-reference-areas" whose number
> depends upon the number of spans (i.e. block-areas
with span="all") occurring on the page. These in turn
> are subdivided by having child-areas designated as
"normal-flow-reference-areas", whose number depends
> on the number of columns specified.

I think this is pretty clearly establishing that each
column-spanning block establishes a new span reference
area.

Cheers,

Eliot

--