Re: [xep-support] Table width in XEP 4

From: Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 12:50:39 PDT

Hi David,
I appreciate your concerted efforts to get XEP to conform to the
specification. I can understand how hard that can be when the specification
is not clear.

As a user of multiple XSL-FO processors, it is frustrating when the
different vendors solve these grey areas in different ways. Each may be
convinced they have the right interpretation, but the results on paper can
be very different. Then we have to add messy choose statements to our
stylesheets to adjust various properties for different processors.

I'm wondering if there is a forum where XSL-FO vendors can discuss these
grey areas and try to reach a concensus on how to interpret the spec. That
forum could maybe include one or more authors of the spec if they were
willing to participate. Imagine how valuable that information would be for
the authors of the next version of spec too. Does such a forum exist? If
not, can you suggest a way of starting one? It should be hosted by a
neutral party, I would think.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting