Re: [xep-support] Table width in XEP 4

From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 09:48:21 PDT

Hi Jirka,

I've re-read the code and notes. Here is the summary:
I think there is a contradiction in descriptions of table models
in XSL FO and CSS. The contradiction is resolved in the following
way:

since CSS2 describes fixed layout in terms of column widths
and automatic layout in terms of cell widths (explicitely
set or calculated), then XEP treats columns with explicit widths
as in the case of fixed layout. If the determined table width
is less than content-width, then all columns with explicitely
specified widths are widened to fill the content-width.

If, however, no column widths are specified explicitely and
the layout is automatic (which is the default value, I was
wrong), then the table behaves as with automatic layout, that
is, it shrinks to the sum of column widths.

The exception for width='auto' does not apply to XSL FO tables,
just because width is a shorthand for inline-progression-dimension,
and there is nothing about inline-progression-dimension to treat
it differently for tables.

It is easy to modify the algorithm in any way, but I need a consistent
opinion.

David