Re: [xep-support] overflow properly as "hidden"

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 23:07:36 PDT

    At 2004-10-21 15:57 -0500, Chen, Cindy \(C\)\(STP\) wrote:
    >According to XEP4.0 reference guide, "overflow" property is supported with
    >following limitations:
    >"Supported on absolutely positioned elements with fixed dimensions, and
    >regions that host static content.

    That seems pretty explicit as to where overflow= is supported.

    >What I would like to achieve is to allow text to be truncated if the text
    >overflows the reference area. So I defined block-container as:
    > <fo:block-container inline-progression-dimension="2in"
    > overflow="hidden">

    Your overflow= is not being specified on either an absolutely-positioned
    block-container or on a perimeter region specification.

    Note that setting the inline-progression-dimension sets a new wrapping
    length for the line, so text naturally wraps at the end of the
    inline-progression-dimension. I believe you cannot ask XSL-FO 1.0 to
    truncate at the *end* of a line, only at the after-edge of the area of a
    given length.

    Did you mean to say block-progression-dimension? Even so, you have yet to
    specify the kind of area documented to support the overflow= property, so I
    would not expect your snippet to work.

    I hope this helps.

    Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
    Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc