Re: [xep-support] XEP v4 Desktop - XSL 1.1 support?

From: Jim Melton (jim.melton@acm.org)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 15:29:27 PDT

    Susan,

    I encountered the very same problem that you described. I seem to recall
    that the problem was fixed in XEP 3.6.4 or perhaps in 3.7.something. Until
    the problem was fixed completely, here's what I learned: if the target
    document was not already opened in Acrobat (in another Acrobat window, that
    is), then clicking on any link aimed at that target document would result
    in it opening to page 1. If, however, the target document happened to be
    already opened in another Acrobat window, then clicking on a link aimed at
    that target document would cause the proper page to be displayed.

    Once the problem was fixed, it no longer required that the target document
    already be opened. I don't recall exactly which version of XEP fixed the
    problem, but it was certainly before 3.8.4 --- in fact, I've been using
    3.8.2 and the problem doesn't occur in that version.

    Just in case it's useful, here's a snippet of my .fo code for an "external"
    link:

    <fo:basic-link external-destination="url('file:my_file.pdf#'my_symbol'')"
    color="#000070"><fo:inline keep-together.within-line="always">Target
    text</fo:inline> Rest of target text</fo:basic-link>

    Note that I'm using the "file" scheme, not the "http" scheme, but that
    shouldn't matter, I think.

    Hope this helps,
        Jim

    At 10:49 AM 10/17/2004 Sunday, CRW150@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Well...because I have an extremely long document, 6,000+ pages, and an
    >accompanying "Populace Index" document, which gives detail info on the
    >hundreds of people mentioned in the document (and each person is
    >mentioned many times). I had to use generate-id() to create unique IDs
    >for the links. I can produce HTML files using xsl:document, and all
    >the links work correctly. I want to be able to produce the same
    >results in PDF. I am testing the XEP trial version 3.8.4 and can't get
    >the links to work. Clicking a link only takes me to the beginning of
    >the other PDF document, not to the correct location within the
    >document. I've looked at the .fo files, and the "id" and
    >"external-destination" references appear to be correct. All I could
    >find with Google was this post

    Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL) Phone: +1.801.942.0144
       Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor Fax : +1.801.942.3345
    Oracle Corporation Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
    1930 Viscounti Drive Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
    Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA Personal email: jim at melton dot name