Re: [xep-support] A3 pages and Landscape Pages

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 09:11:09 PDT

    At 2004-06-11 15:15 +0100, Douglas_Morrison@contractor.amat.com wrote:
    >Thanks very much for that suggestion. One problem for me is the
    >requirement to insert the psmi marker as a direct child of fo:flow. The
    >xsl I am using could put in several nested fo:blocks before reaching the
    >element that requires the change in page geometry. I'm not sure how to get
    >round that.
    >
    >It seems to me the best solution would be to allow nested pagesets and
    >process them accordingly. Why not?

    Consider the situation where one has nested blocks and the need for a page:

       <block
         <block
            <block
              <page
                <block
                </block
                <block
                </block
                <block
                </block
              </page
            </block
         </block
       </block

    In the object hierarchy, "D", "E" and "F" have the same properties as "A",
    "B", and "C". Would that imply the same kinds of blocks in the
    newly-created page sequence? If so, what happens to those properties of
    the blocks that apply at the start of the block (initial property set,
    space-before, etc.)? Padding? backgrounds?

    And if that were all determined, what would the XSLT be to extract the
    three parts above into three sibling page concepts ... the recursive-call
    requirements are, I believe, doable but very awkward and not easily
    generalizable.

    I've assessed that "process them accordingly" is untenable and messy in the
    general case .... I'd be interested to hear proposals for general solutions
    to such situations.

    --
    Public training 3 days XSLT & 2 days XSL-FO: Phoenix,AZ 2004-08-23
    Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/