RE: Re[2]: [xep-support] XEP Genarating pdfs take long time with .Net interface.

From: Krishnan, Navaneetha (nkrishnan@matlensilver.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 08:47:48 PDT

    Hi, Thanks a lot for you help. I appreciate it.

    I am trying XEP - XSL Formatting Engine for Paged Media Developer Stamped Edition Version 3.7.4
    COM Wrapper 1.5.

    This is the complete source code for the asp file.

    <%
            Dim XEP
        Set xep = server.CreateObject("XEP.XEPFormatter")
        xep.setOutputFormat ("PDF")
        XEP.SetStyleSheetFile Server.MapPath("AssetReportSVG.xsl")

            dt = now()
        objRet = XEP.Transform(GetXML())

        strFileName = Server.MapPath(".") & "\MLReport-" & formatdatetime(dt,1) & "-" & Replace(formatdatetime(dt,3), ":", "-") & ".pdf"

            SaveBinaryDataTextStream strFileName,objRet

            Response.write "Created PDF File : " & strFileName
            set xep = nothing

    function GetXML()
            dim objDOC
            dim obj
            set objDOC = server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument")
            objDoc.load Server.MapPath("AYA_input.xml")
            attachimage objdoc,"Image1",Server.MapPath("BB1-A.SVG")
            GetXML = Stream_StringToBinary(objdoc.xml,"")
    end function

    Private Sub AttachImage(Doc, ImageName, ImagePath )
        Dim objDom
        Dim objEl
        Dim objParEl
        Set objParEl = Doc.selectSingleNode("Images")
        If objParEl Is Nothing Then
            Set objParEl = Doc.createElement("Images")
            Doc.documentElement.appendChild objParEl
        End If
        Set objEl = Doc.selectSingleNode("Images/Image[@Name='" & ImageName & "']")
        If Not objEl Is Nothing Then
            Doc.documentElement.removeChild objEl
        End If
        Set objEl = Doc.createElement("Image")
        objEl.setAttribute "Name", ImageName
        Set objDoc = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument")
        objDoc.Load ImagePath
        objEl.appendChild objDoc.documentElement
        objParEl.appendChild objEl
        Set objDoc = Nothing
    End Sub

    Function Stream_StringToBinary(Text, CharSet)
      Const adTypeText = 2
      Const adTypeBinary = 1

      'Create Stream object
      Dim BinaryStream 'As New Stream
      Set BinaryStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")

      'Specify stream type - we want To save text/string data.
      BinaryStream.Type = adTypeText

      'Specify charset For the source text (unicode) data.
      If Len(CharSet) > 0 Then
        BinaryStream.CharSet = CharSet
      Else
        BinaryStream.CharSet = "us-ascii"
      End If

      'Open the stream And write text/string data To the object
      BinaryStream.Open
      BinaryStream.WriteText Text

      'Change stream type To binary
      BinaryStream.Position = 0
      BinaryStream.Type = adTypeBinary

      'Ignore first two bytes - sign of
      BinaryStream.Position = 0

      'Open the stream And get binary data from the object
      Stream_StringToBinary = BinaryStream.Read
      set BinaryStream = nothing
    End Function

    Function SaveBinaryDataTextStream(FileName, ByteArray)
      'Create FileSystemObject object
      Dim FS: Set FS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

      'Create text stream object
      Dim TextStream
      Set TextStream = FS.CreateTextFile(FileName)

      'Convert binary data To text And write them To the file
      TextStream.Write BinaryToString(ByteArray)
      TextStream.close
      set TextStream = nothing
      Set FS = nothing
    End Function

    Function BinaryToString(Binary)

      Dim cl1, cl2, cl3, pl1, pl2, pl3
      Dim L
      cl1 = 1
      cl2 = 1
      cl3 = 1
      L = LenB(Binary)

      Do While cl1<=L
        pl3 = pl3 & Chr(AscB(MidB(Binary,cl1,1)))
        cl1 = cl1 + 1
        cl3 = cl3 + 1
        If cl3>300 Then
          pl2 = pl2 & pl3
          pl3 = ""
          cl3 = 1
          cl2 = cl2 + 1
          If cl2>200 Then
            pl1 = pl1 & pl2
            pl2 = ""
            cl2 = 1
          End If
        End If
      Loop
      BinaryToString = pl1 & pl2 & pl3
    End Function

    %>

    The .Net version takes around 10 minutes to genearte a pdf of around 45KB size. That is why I am trying the asp com arapper way. If you think that I can improve the perfomance with the .Net version, I will go with that.

    Details of error.
    I am running this test on Windows XP professional. Pentium IV with 512MB ram.

    It generates aroung 75 pdfs and after that I am getting "Error Encountered in COM surrogate process." Windows Errors.
    Encountered unexpected error in dllhost. Cannot read memory at location XXXXX.

    Thanks for you help.

    Nav