[xep-support] XEP and Section 508 Usability

From: Chris Cosentino (ccosenti@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 14:15:30 PDT

    I'm successfully using XEP 3.7.7 to generate PDF for some technical
    documentation, but I have a requirement for Section 508 (http://www.section508.gov/)
    usability.

    When I run the accessibility checker from Adobe Acrobat I get the
    following summary:

    Summary

    The checker found problems which may prevent the document from being fully accessible.

        * All of the text in this document lacks a language specification.
        * This document is not structured; the reading order of the contents may be incorrect.
        * 136 images(s) with no alternate text.

    The first two items are easily fixed from within Acrobat (although it
    would be nice to have a XEP extension to define the Language, along
    the lines of the XEP "Document Info" extension).

    However, the third and most daunting task is adding alternate text to
    the images.

    Is there some way in XEP to define an Alt Text for a graphic, and have
    the read in by Acrobat when it creates the tags?

    Thanks,
    Chris

    --
    Chris Cosentino