Re: [xep-support] XEP with Arabic Typesetting font

From: Mete Kural (metekural@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 08:27:57 PST

    Hello Nikolai,

    OK, I understand. With regards to the Arabic
    Typesetting font, I am particularly interested in the
    "hamza placing" features. Many Arabic fonts fail to do
    the rendering correctly when the hamza is placed in
    certain special positions. What we are trying to print
    is the Quran in Arabic. For instance, there are
    spellings in the Quran where there is a hamza on top
    of a Lam-Alef ligature. Is XEP capable of rendering a
    Lam-Alef ligature with a hamza and possibly also a
    fatha on top of it?

    If it isn't, then is there a way to make XEP use an
    external third-party BIDI rendering engine instead of
    the Java-based BIDI rendering engine built into it
    for Arabic rendering?

    Regards,
    Mete

    http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.html#Right-to-Left.