Re: [xep-support] Height of Table Rows With Empty Content

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 01:36:13 PST

    Eliot,

    > I think the no-height-specified behavior of XEP is a bug
    > since there is content in the cells, which should require
    > that the inline areas be rendered at the current line height.

    XEP does not treat ZWSP as a content element: we consider
    it an empty inline that does nothing except enabling line break
    at the specified point. What you see are actually empty blocks.
    I am not sure it is a bug; just because the semantics of the
    character is to generate neither visible marks nor caret move,
    a line made of only ZWSPs can be considered empty.

    > The ZWSP is there to force XSL Formatter to preserve
    > the blocks (with 2.5R5, XSL Formatter started discarding
    > FOs that have empty content). The second and third cells
    > have start borders to create the ruler effect.

    I'd suggest using a space-filled leader technique:
    <fo:block><fo:leader/></fo:block> is a typical
    idiom for a block containing a single line. Another
    interesting option to create a ruler is by using
    instream SVG: this way, you actually draw the ruler,
    not emulate it.

    Regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev