Re: [xep-support] Height of Table Rows With Empty Content

From: Eliot Kimber (ekimber@innodata-isogen.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 13:01:17 PST

    Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:

    > Eliot,
    >

    >>I think the no-height-specified behavior of XEP is a bug
    >>since there is content in the cells, which should require
    >>that the inline areas be rendered at the current line height.
    >

    > XEP does not treat ZWSP as a content element: we consider
    > it an empty inline that does nothing except enabling line break
    > at the specified point. What you see are actually empty blocks.
    > I am not sure it is a bug; just because the semantics of the
    > character is to generate neither visible marks nor caret move,
    > a line made of only ZWSPs can be considered empty.

    Hmmm. I understand the logic, but I don't think it's justified by the
    either the XSL-FO spec or the Unicode spec (at least I couldn't find
    anything that suggested that ZWSP is more than just that: a space of
    zero width). That is, it's a character and is not a white-space
    character per the XSL-FO spec, and therefore it must be treated as any
    other character and therefore preserved.

    This is not a bug issue particularly--using fo:leader is probably the
    better markup approach, but I don't think I can agree with the
    implementation behavior described above.

    Cheers,

    E.

    --
    W. Eliot Kimber