Re: [xep-support] Conditionally outputting a block

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 08:50:27 PST

    Hello James,

    JM> Simple question (probably demanding of a fiendishly clever answer...):

    I can't say that I understand your problem well...

    JM> Background - I'm outputting a catalogue. Said catalogue inevitably has
    JM> large blank spaces at the end of some sections as each section starts on
    JM> a new page.

    If you want to start every section on a new page you better define
    separate page-sequence for every section or use an explicit
    "break-before" property on the first block of the section.

    JM> Question - is it possible to define a block (or even better, blocks
    JM> plural) that are only output if there is room for them on the "current"
    JM> page?

    If you want to prevent some blocks from splitting between the pages
    you have to set keep-together.within-column="always" on those blocks.

    JM> I can sort of see how it might be possible, but I can't pressure
    JM> of work prevents wandering off to explore the complexities without at
    JM> least some indication that I'm going to looking for something that can
    JM> actually be found!

    More details about your goal would be helpful.

    JM> TIA, Murph

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com