Re: [xep-support] Problem with greek characters in chapter titles using some fonts

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 13:15:09 PDT

    Marc,

    > I experience problems with greek characters in chapter
    > titles. Depending on the font I use, these are fine,
    > do not appear at all, or show an empty box.
    >
    > In the chapter body, the greek characters are fine.
    >
    > To be more specific:
    >
    > Font Greek Characters
    > Palatino (TTF) fine

    Palatino covers Greek alphabet.

    > Helvetica (afm) nothing/empty

    The built-in Helvetica font covers only Adobe ExtendedRoman
    charset - that is, a superposition of WinAnsi and MacRoman.
    There is a single Greek character there (mu, used as a micro
    sign). You can find lists of characters covered by the base
    fonts in examples/charsets/ directory in your XEP distribution.

    > BookAntiqua (TTF) empty boxes

    Same as above. Most probably, there are no Greek characters
    in the font. Please check font composition. To see the repertory
    of glyphs covered by a font, you can run the following class
    from XEP's jar:

    java ... com.renderx.fonts.AFM <font_file_name>

    It will list all Unicode codepoints that XEP can discern
    in your font.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev