Re: [xep-support] Problem with greek characters in chapter titles using some fonts

From: Marc Baaden (baaden@smplinux.de)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 09:39:31 PDT

    Nikolai,

    thank you for your comments, but this does not fit with what I
    observe:

    in the *BODY* of the text *EVERYTHING* is fine with the greek
    characters, whatever font I choose (Palatino, Helvetica,
    BookAntiqua ...).
    It is *ONLY* in the *TITLES* that I have problems.

    So I do not think it is an inherent problem with the fonts.
    Because even if Helvetica does not cover the greek alphabet,
    the docbook 1.62.0 stylesheet generated fo code should tell
    XEP to fall back on other fonts (which seems to work fine for
    the body of the text):

      font-selection-strategy="character-by-character"
      font-family="Helvetica,Symbol,ZapfDingbats"

    My feeling is rather that maybe XEP does not honour these
    settings for titles for some reason ???

    Any hints on this are greatly appreciated,
    Marc

    >>> "Nikolai Grigoriev" said:
    >> Marc,
    >>
    >> > I experience problems with greek characters in chapter
    >> > titles. Depending on the font I use, these are fine,
    >> > do not appear at all, or show an empty box.
    >> >
    >> > In the chapter body, the greek characters are fine.
    >> >
    >> > To be more specific:
    >> >
    >> > Font Greek Characters
    >> > Palatino (TTF) fine
    >>
    >> Palatino covers Greek alphabet.
    >>
    >> > Helvetica (afm) nothing/empty
    >>
    >> The built-in Helvetica font covers only Adobe ExtendedRoman
    >> charset - that is, a superposition of WinAnsi and MacRoman.
    >> There is a single Greek character there (mu, used as a micro
    >> sign). You can find lists of characters covered by the base
    >> fonts in examples/charsets/ directory in your XEP distribution.
    >>
    >> > BookAntiqua (TTF) empty boxes
    >>
    >> Same as above. Most probably, there are no Greek characters
    >> in the font. Please check font composition. To see the repertory
    >> of glyphs covered by a font, you can run the following class
    >> from XEP's jar:
    >>
    >> java ... com.renderx.fonts.AFM <font_file_name>
    >>
    >> It will list all Unicode codepoints that XEP can discern
    >> in your font.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Nikolai Grigoriev
    >> RenderX
    >> you are subscribed from.
    >> (*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service htt
         p://www.renderx.com/tos.html

    Marc Baaden

    --
     Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
     mailto:baaden@smplinux.de      -      http://www.marc-baaden.de