Re: [xep-support] Rendering DocBook sets as multiple documents

From: Bob Stayton (bobs@sco.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 17:48:22 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:37:09AM +1000, Kevin Yank wrote:
    > Thanks to both Ken and Bob for their insights. I should have mentioned that
    > I don't need a fully automated solution. This is an occasional, fully
    > monitored process that must result in standard PostScript files destined for
    > press.
    >
    > Not having an intimate knowledge of the PostScript format (I generally
    > convert them to PDF with Acrobat Distiller for viewing), I didn't know how
    > easy it would be to split two documents out of a single file. Although I'm
    > not opposed in principle to hand editing the PostScript files, I'll probably
    > go in search of a tool that I can use to perform the document splitting in a
    > less error-prone manner.

    It is *really* easy. You'll spend more time looking for
    and testing a tool than just editing it by hand.
    You don't have to understand all the Postscript, just
    the key document structure comments that Adobe established
    by convention to indicate page boundaries.

    1. Open the file in your favorite plain text editor.

    2. Copy the prolog to each new file. The prolog is all
    the lines from the first line to the PostScript comment
    %%EndSetup.

    %!PS-Adobe-3.0

    %%EndSetup

    3. Each physical page begins with a comment like this:

    %%Page: 1 1

    %%Page: 2 2

    %%Page: 3 3

    etc.

    Figure out which physical page starts your second volume, such as
    54, then take all the lines from %%Page: 1 1 to the line
    just above %%Page: 54 54 and append them to the first file.
    Then take the line %%Page: 54 54 and the rest of the lines
    and append them to the second file. It's that easy.

    Bob Stayton 400 Encinal Street
    Publications Architect Santa Cruz, CA 95060
    Technical Publications voice: (831) 427-7796
    The SCO Group fax: (831) 429-1887
                                                email: bobs@sco.com