[xep-support] More on <rx:page-index>: feature request

From: Paul A. Hoadley (paulh@logicsquad.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 04:31:23 PST

    Hello,

    In my attempt to augment the DocBook XSL automatic index generation,
    I've hit a problem that I don't think I can solve with rx:key and
    rx:page-index. The DocBook DTD allows for an <indexterm> within the
    text to have a 'class' attribute which can specify 'startofrange' and
    'endofrange'. An element with the latter must also carry a 'startref'
    attribute that points to the 'id' of its corresponding 'startofrange'.
    The generated index will then contain a range of pages for an
    indexterm spanning between the two elements.

    I don't see how I can integrate this with the rx:key and rx:page-index
    extensions -- putting an rx:key in the text at the start and end of
    the range will just generate two single page references in the
    rx:page-index.

    Assuming it's not achievable (and I'd be happy to be proven wrong
    there), would that be an easily implemented feature? Perhaps an
    rx:key, but also rx:startkey and rx:endkey attributes? (This may be
    naive -- overlapping ranges would be a problem, for one thing.)

    --
    Paul.
    mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net