Re: [xep-support] More on <rx:page-index>: feature request

From: David Tolpin (dvd@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 09:05:56 PST

    > I think you would have a hard time selling that to most technical
    > writers and professional indexers.

    As well as non-WYSIWYG rendering, Unicode, XSL Formatting Objects in
    general and many of the features, such as "auto" as default value
    for margins and inheritance that goes through table border into table cells,
    in particular.

    The key is in a tool. XSL FO is a lower-level. If a higher level that
    is comfortable for technical writers and professional indexers can
    be provided, then it is not an obstacle; instead, it is a way to ensure
    stable and predicable work of the renderer.

    Neither technical writers nor professional indexers bother about stylesheets
    and formatting objects. They use higher-level notions. The challenge
    is to provide a mapping (on some level, either inside the language or
    in a preprocessing tool). As soon as we have a clear understanding
    we will implement the mapping.

    David