Re: [xep-support] Using entities for images in XEP

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 06:53:33 PST

    Geurt,

    > Does XEP support constructs like:
    >
    > <?xml version="1.0"?>
    > <!DOCTYPE dog [
    > <!NOTATION JPEG SYSTEM "Joint Photographic Experts Group">
    > <!ENTITY colliepic SYSTEM "lassie.jpg" NDATA JPEG>
    > <!ELEMENT dog EMPTY>
    > <!ATTLIST dog picfile ENTITY #REQUIRED>
    > ]>
    > <dog picfile="colliepic"/>

    (It should be <dog picfile="&colliepic;"/>, shouldn't it?)

    I don't know any method to use unparsed entities in XSL FO.
    Their status is quite special: an XML parser is expected
    to "notify" the application when it encounters such an entity.
    This "notification" can hardly be mapped to existing XSL
    data types.

    > If it does, how to reference the image in this document in
    > fo:external-graphic src=""?

    No, it does not; but I wonder why do you need it, at all?
    Won't it be simpler if you make your entity CDATA instead
    of NDATA? Something like this:

    <!DOCTYPE dog [
      <!ENTITY colliepic "lassie.jpg">
      <!ELEMENT dog EMPTY>