Re: [xep-support] METRIC and HYPHEN properties

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 12:34:41 PST

    Hi Werner,

    > I understand from the documentation that the value for these
    > properties must be a directory. It would be very interesting
    > if URLs were also allowed, because then the files in these
    > directories could be loaded as resources, i.e. they could be added
    > to the application jar file. This is very important in a J2EE context,
    > where resources should not be put in the file system, which is
    > a global resource, but instead be part of the enterprise archive.

    Than you for the suggestion. It is indeed an important issue.
    I confess that it is not easy to satisfy this requirement
    in the current architecture: parsing fonts strongly requires
    random access to the font file, so the only alternative to file
    I/O is to load the whole font into memory. It is doable,
    but requires many changes in the code (and may entail
    a considerable memory penalty). In any case, we will
    keep it present when making plans for the future.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev